If you choose L & B’S as the provider of your continuous concrete curbing, you can be assured of a job you will be well satisfied with. We have a policy of guaranteeing that the curbing product supplied will exceed your expectations. Your new concrete edging has a one-year warranty from the installation date against defects in workmanship or materials. Don’t worry it will be replaced at no charge if the defect is caused by the materials we use or the way it was installed by our company. We like to say it gives it a chance to go through a freeze & thaw cycle out here in Colorado.
Here is a little knowledge about the product as the ambient temperature changes, control joints are installed every 3 to 4 feet. This allows the curbing to crack in a controlled way when ground movement etc. stresses the curb. A minimum of one part cement to 3 parts concrete sand is used in the concrete mix. This provides a consistently high strength concrete curb. This sealer we use adds much strength by slowing hydration, and protects your curbing from stains, reduces fading and makes the surface of your curb very easy to keep clean by simply hosing off.
Our Curbing needs little maintenance, but some precautions are important after installation. (Concrete takes approx. 28 days to reach full strength.)
1. Keep pets, children and objects away from the curb for at least 24 hours. It will be “hard” to the touch at this point, but still needs several days to fully set up.
2. Sod laying, sprinkler and landscape work can be started 48-72 hours after installation; however, caution must be taken as shovels picks and wheelbarrows can damage the curb for several more days while it is still curing. A full cure requires 28 days.
3. If you have a landscape contractor working for you, caution him about protecting the curb from damage. If wheelbarrows are used for hauling rock over the curb, put a mound of dirt over it (at least 6″ deep) or build a ramp over the curb to keep the weight from cracking or damaging it. NEVER allow a tractor, bobcat or truck to run over the curb.
4. If it begins to rain within 3-4 hours after we leave the job, don’t worry about your curbing we will replace it if it’s damaged. Normally we will watch for weather and if it appears it is going to rain we will cover it!! Make sure sprinklers do NOT come on for at least 48 hours.
5. Efflorescence (white, powder substance) can appear on OCCASIONS and does not look good on curbing. The intensity of efflorescence varies depending upon the type (hardness) of water and the volume of water that gets on the curb. After the curb dries and sets up you can do the following – A solution of 50/50 vinegar and water with a light brushing will remove the efflorescence. You may have to do this a few times; eventually the efflorescence should go away.
6. Once in a while curbing with color in it (integral) may look “splotchy” for a few days while it is curing. This will go away as it cures and is not to be confused with efflorescence.
7. If determined that the curbing was damaged & was not a part of L & B”S workmanship/installation, we will come back and make the necessary repairs. However, there is a $300.00 minimum charge for this service.
8. Cracking -We take every precaution we can to prevent cracking, concrete curbing like any other type of concrete can and will crack. We experience very little cracking in our product.